news, in a nutshell:
- i've been really ichy flu-bug sick since saturday night, and only felt [barely] well enough to head back to work today. so that made life even more hectic than usual.
- i managed to drag myself to vote yesterday, but the rest of you idiots gave the liberals an overwhelming majority by voting for them - or worse - not voting at all [record lowest turnout since 1923]. congratulation, ontario. another four years of liar-face mcguinty. i hope you're pleased as punch. punch you in the face.
- saw a couple of great concerts over the past couple of weeks; okkervil river with damien jurado and dukes of the archipelago in montréal [holy sheeeit okkervil river are crazy good, like who woulda thunk good music could come from texas, heheh], and magnolia electric co. right here in good ol' ottawa last week. jason molina is a muthafuckin' good performer, and him and his band are way too humble.
- the plan this weekend [if my sickness is over, damnit] is to see two more great concerts; the reverb syndicate and my dad vs. yours at the black sheep, and rock plaza central back in ottawa! i have sadly missed RPC's previous few ottawa dates, and i do not plan to miss this one. they are amazing live.
- i passed my certification examination from Disaster Recovery Institute of Canada. i am now an Associate Business Continuity Professional [ABCP]. take that, batman!
- david cronenberg's new movie, eastern promises, is worth seeing. what are you waiting for, a personal invitation?!
- i am [still] working on a bass track for littlegirltoast, i promise! i'm just having a momentary lapse of ability-to-come-up-with-anything-remotel
y-the-fuck-worthwhile. i promise, it'll come!
- i am hard at work on my new album, and [hopefully] on schedule to release it by the end of the year, as it is meant to be a conceptually logical counterpoint to my summer 2007 release, make believe. i have 8 songs in various stages of completion, and i suspect this album will contain only 10 songs [my shortest solo effort to date], as it is meant to be a concise story, devoid of over-zealous pruning and/or out-takes / b-sides. i suspect that the principle reason for this is that make believe served the purpose of a nostalgic [if somewhat heavy-handedly illusionistic] survey of the past, taking the form of [perception of] reality-as-fiction, leaving room for new album to be a realtime [i.e. brief and fleeting] metaphorical story of fiction-as-reality in the here-and-now. make sense? no? oh well, that's the best explanation i can offer. it's not meant to be a rollercoaster through my psyche, so you don't have to read to much into it. what i do hope it turns out to be is an enjoyable listen. musically and lyrically it is not too much of a departure from make believe, but then, that does make it sort of new, since make believe differs from my previous work in some pointed ways. namely, as i further adopt different methods of production and recording, and rely more heavy-handedly on digital hybridization between real instrumentation and electronica [beats and samples], my attachment to conventional song structure weakens, becomes more tenuous. anyway, enough introspection and such for now. if you want to know more structured detail about the new album, i will post song titles and work-in-progress tracklisting to spaces.live blog soonish.